Register

Discord server is operational: https://discord.gg/tnbbFAQ

Chaos Cluster

Author Topic: Downtime  (Read 8383 times)

Viggo

• View Profile
Downtime
« on: October 24, 2009, 03:01:46 pm »
Since the new risingalliance.net site has been up its been for me like a little reunion with everyone.  I'd figured that I would start a topic that would help me get to re know everyone and it could be helpful to new members.  Anyways the topic is downtime.  What does everyone here like to do when they are not working (ie. have downtime).  

Since its my topic I'll start us off.  Years ago if I wasnt working I would constantly be on my computer.  Playing games, listening to music, and watching videos.  I could spend 6 hours easy an afternoon just playing games.  That has definitely calmed down as the years have gone by.  Now when I have downtime I like to read, do creative writing, work on fixing the house (my friends and I just moved into a permanent address and so we still have boxes and stuff everywhere until we can find a place for them), and listening to music.  My roommates are helping me learn to play the guitar too.  We are also big LoTR fans and have watched the trilogy almost 2 complete times in the month and a half ive been here.  I also like getting online and checking out my favorite sites (rising alliance, facebook, hotmail, youtube)  When the weather warms up hopefully there will be a lot of sports.  I enjoy hockey and soccer personally.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2009, 06:04:23 am by Viggo »
Needs a better Sig.

Bearsus

• Semi-Newbie
    • View Profile
Re: Downtime
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2009, 05:36:53 pm »
I like your thread, Viggo! :)

I can't remeber exactly when I joined the RA, but back then, I had a lot of time. Enough for being 12 hrs a day online (very flexible working time, since I worked on my own), and had not many hobbies but an online game called Kings of Chaos.

Since then many things have changed, except maybe for my internet addiction... :P

Now I work for a company (Car Dealership) as Marketing and F&I Manager, which gives me plenty of business during the day, but I still manage to be online long enough to check on Facebook (where I play both Mafia Wars, and Mob Wars), a Spanish GS-motorcycle forum, and now, the RA too.

I'm still single (was going to write happily single, but there might be a confussion with being happy, and being... extremely happy :P ), and pretty much spend my free time with friends, or riding around central Mexico on my motorcycle.

Since I spend much of the day sitting in front of a computer, I started attending a yoga shala (or yoga school) twice a week (just for fun: imagine a 6", 240 lb (1.80 m, and 125 Kg) guy,  dressing sweat pants and t-shirt, reaching for his toes... that's me), and I just loby it...

Just finished reading Arturo Perez Reverte's La Reina del Sur (there's an English translation: The Queen of the South),  which is an awful lot of fun to read (no spoiler here: a gal who becomes drug dealer after her drug dealing BF gets killed), and will start reading Dan Bronw's Angels and Demons (have not watched the movie yet).

I'd love to have more time so I could recuperate some long lost hobbies (like playing bass with my old band, singing in the school choir, rowing (yeah, I did that too), and I'd definitely woul loby to have time to get my racing driver's license.

So that's pretty much it (at least for now...).

The_Black_Assalant

• Experienced Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2009, 09:20:11 pm »
Great idea viggo.

Since the ra closeing and are being seperated.

I have gottin married to the love of my life,named sara. she is 50 and im 29  :o yes i know,we are way off by age but she love's me for me and i love her for her,no string's except that witch binds are heart's togeather.  I quit my job as park matinice after a situation involing the owner's of the park threating and bullying a single lady that lost her job next door to me. I have since gone back to freelance handyman work and rebuilding are home from many of year's of neglect.

I remain a active mmrpg player but not on the 16-18 hour i scale used to,now if im on 3 hour's a night im doing something.

i just finshed building a porch and painting my mom's and sister's mobile home's,and hope to do mine in the early spring,im really in need of a new shed but it will have to wait till thing's pick up,as bussiness is slow.   

I have become very good with computer's also,I have been doing some virus removal and bot removeing from peoples computers up here. i think thats about all for now
If the pie was a lie,why did it taste so good.

in loving memory of the fallen friend's, Breakdown,Ocity,Dycyn :P and those name's lost in the destruction of the secret island destroyed by Falsa.

Currently Playing Ragnarok online 99 Trans sinx Flash-Blades,OutSellMe level 31 merchant,Lord Bo0m level 93 wizard,Agility sez what! level 31 swordsman,Icy Fingered Gank thief level 46

Tyred

• Member++
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2009, 01:23:07 pm »
Well, shoot. I can't remember when it was we had a working forum last, so I don't remember where I left off. I'll start from the relative beginning of May of last year:

I graduated from college
I got a job
I moved up closer to the city (Indianapolis)
My wife and I got a pair of kittens
I decided apartment living wasn't for me, so I bought a house

And... That's really the gist of it. I still get online occasionally to play KoL and sometimes GC. I lurk around more often than I post anymore here.

Hobbies-wise, I am not doing a whole lot. Trying to just keep up with daily life and having fun with a secret kind of night life. It's not too bad, about the pace I was expecting for me around now.

Tyred
Back on the old RA, I was the resident counting fanatic, literature snob, Tetris champion, moderator of forums I never used and games I rarely played, Hexxagon champion, stupidest smart person, and incompetent admin. I hope my legacy here will be just as meaningful... or not.

Member as of June 20th, 2004 (yeah, I've been lurking around here for FOURTEEN years...)

"Both human stupidity and the universe are infinite, although I am not sure about the latter." Albert Einstein
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic." Arthur C. Clarke
"For sale: Baby shoes, never worn." The shortest story ever written, attributed to Ernest Hemingway, but likely anonymous

Adenia

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2009, 12:05:23 pm »
It's rather startling that downtime and me haven't seen much of eachother lately. I've gotten myself a full time 8-5 job in the city and am finally back on track getting my Associates degree at the local college. Even with doing classes online, a lot of my time are taken up by these two things. Then, since my husband has been taking a health and fitness class for part of his degree, we've implemented a healthier lifestyle to our rather sedentary gaming lives. So we've been going to the gym a lot and playing racketball, walking the treadmill, dreaded elliptical machines, and some minor weight lifting to just help tone the body. We've also taken to eating better to help us regain healthy bodies and y'know, healthy cooking takes a LONG FREAKING TIME! Why is this? Hm?

Anyway, that's where I'm at so far. My free time is otherwise taken up with Final Fantasy XI (and once Final Fantasy XIV comes out, I'll be pestering all of you to find out if you're playing and where you're at) and Harvest Moon Tree of Tranquility for it's very soothing effects. There's also D&D gaming, but that's become sporadic due to the lack of time commitment and friends going to work out of state/country for awhile.

mallaki

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2009, 06:27:03 pm »

i got a promotion. im now the grocery manager which means i can be worked 80 hr a week but only paid for 50 because im on salary. it not that bad every week normally i work 60.  i bought a new 2010 mustang v6. before i bought it they let me test drive a v8 gt.

occasionally i play kol and gc. the only game i really play is ikariam.

Viggo

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2009, 09:32:46 pm »
I used to have a really nice bike that I would be willing to trade ya for your car.  Haha.  Actually about 2 weeks ago I got hit by a guy that thought the Stop sign wasn't actually a command but just a polite request.  Regardless he slowed down but then peeled out and turned into me.  It was a big truck, so instead of going over his hood or being ejected about 20 yards back, I basically just got destroyed into the ground and then skidded a little.  I was more banged up and bruised than I was cut.  In fact just 1 hand got cut real bad, and both my ankles, but that was it.  It used to be a nice bike, and now its being held together by duct tape and the such.  The moral is you are never too cool to wear a helmet.  It probably didn't save my life, but it probably prevented me from having a serious head injury.  That being said, I got the next day off which was nice.  Oh by the way, my current part time job in the city is delivering sandwiches in downtown detroit.  I haven't got Michigan Insurance yet so I've been using my bike.  Its fast and effective because of all the traffic and lights.  So when I say I got 1 day off, thats really not saying much seeing the next day I had to work.  In general I live 4 miles away, so thats 8 miles round trip, and usually bike about 5-10 miles during the work day, pending that I'm not closing then its more like 8-12.  Even though its not the best job, its not bad.  I'm only getting around 20 hours a week.  Thats about $100 a week off wages since I'm paid below minimal wage.  On the up side, I usually make between $150-200 in tips each week.  So on a really good work, im making $300 a week.  And at 20 hours a week that comes to $15 an hour.  So its not bad for a start right now.  Plus I have a good deal of downtime each day, and thats nice since I've been working full time for almost 2 years now. 
Needs a better Sig.