Register

Chaos Cluster has returned.

Chaos Cluster

Author Topic: Upgrade to 1.23 and with meep?  (Read 13614 times)

Sonya the fox

• Administrator
  • Member++
    • View Profile
Upgrade to 1.23 and with meep?
« on: November 17, 2011, 03:54:37 am »
I propose that we update to IC2 v1.23 and install the patch someone made that fixes quantum crashes and solar lag.  I would also like to suggest that we consider some of the add-ons in the IC2 forum.  My choices would be: AdvGenerators, Charging Bench, Iron Chests, and possibly the Modular Force Field Generator and Rocket Science.  I want to hear some input from everyone, please.

Okay, since I can't find the poll button, I'm gonna ask everyone put votes of yes/no/abstain for each of the add-ons, or if they even want to update to 1.23.

Link to addons subforum: http://forum.industrial-craft.net/index.php?page=Board&boardID=56&s=53c877a9ae1bc1072129b4c0bdfb36d6772c170f
Some of the ones I listed are in Pending Addons, a subforum of that subforum.

EDIT: *goes hunting for trerro to get the filter cleaned out*

EDIT2: (2 votes, mine not included)
AdvGenerators: 1/0/1
Rocket Science: 2/0/0 (unavailable currently, no SMP support)
Charging Bench: 1/0/1
Iron Chests: 0/1/1 (+1 when v1)
Force Field: 0/1/0
« Last Edit: November 18, 2011, 05:22:17 am by Sonya the fox »

GPH

• Purplasm
  • Experienced Member
    • View Profile
Re: Upgrade to 1.23 and with meep?
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2011, 07:23:57 pm »
Rocket Science and Adv Generators look awesome to me.

Do we know which of these are actually compatible with multiplayer yet? For instance I don't think rocket science is unfortunately :(

I personally don't see that the charging bench and iron chests mods are worth the chance that they'll cause hassle as they don't seem to do that much to me. Obviously I'm not the one they'll be causing hassle to though so if you think they're worth it I'm happy to go along with that.

Obviously I'm pro upgrading if it'll fix crashes and solar panel lag. Massive amounts of solar panels would amusingly be less necessary with some of those mods of course.
=||=

Trerro

• Administrator
  • Defender of Meep
    • View Profile
    • Chaos Cluster
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2011, 03:02:30 am »
Stability is my main concern - the IC build we're using crashes pretty much daily, so that patch should be the first thing we do.

As for the new version, it looks like it was released 3 weeks ago, so it should be old enough that any critical issues have been found. I say we dig through forums and see if people are running into any new major issues. If they're not, I'm all for an upgrade, but if there's new crash bugs, we should wait until they're fixed.

I'm weary of installing pending mods, as they've likely seen very little use yet (and non-obvious crash bugs like that solar one have very likely not been encountered yet).

That said, here's what I think of those 5 once they're no longer pending, or have at least been used on several servers for long enough to get bugs reported:

Rocket Science - Terraforming by firing missiles at things, rocket flight, and eventually traveling to the moon. Awesome. I'd definitely like to see this once available. No SMP yet though, so it's moot for now.

Advanced Generators - I haven't done enough with the higher level IC stuff to know how useful this is or isn't, so I'm nuetral.

Iron Chests - This could help with inventory management, but I'm extremely weary of mods where a bug can delete entire inventories - especially with that note about upgrading to the current version. So... I vote yes, but only when it hits v1.

Charging Bench - Not much to say about this one... it's a nice simple time saver, go for it.

Force Field - I'm really not a fan of making things invincible on survival servers.

As for the absence of polls, there should be a "new poll" button right next to the "new thread" one. If there's not, something's screwy in the forum settings. I'll check with the test account after posting this to see if it's there for everyone (it *should* be).
« Last Edit: November 18, 2011, 07:18:07 am by Trerro »
Order of Chaos (Ragnarok Online, iRO Ymir) guildmaster - Mwrip (99/70 High Wizzie)

Dragon Code: DC2.Dw Gm L7f W T Palw Sks Cbk Bfl/"puns" A Fr-- M O H-- $- Fo R++ Ac++ J++ S+ I--# Tc++ E+

"I never knew faith had to come with an instruction manual." - Source Unknown
"My political ideal is the democracy. Let every man be respected as an individual, but let no man be idolized" - Einstein
"Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." - Benjamin Franklin

ZOMGTESTACCOUNT!

• Ubernewbieâ„¢
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2011, 03:12:04 am »
Yep, it's definitely there. This is an account with no special rights whatsoever. Here's where it is for me:

If you don't have all 4 of those links, please let me know what's missing, and I'll check the code for this forum skin to see if they forgot something.

Bullseye55

• Experienced Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2011, 10:21:40 pm »
We can't do this now, 1.0.0 came out....
Indomitus Barracks Coordinator Leader

Sonya the fox

• Administrator
  • Member++
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2011, 04:47:13 am »
We can't do this now, 1.0.0 came out....
So why can't this be done?  How does Minecraft 1.0 affect us running beta 1.8.1 with IC2 v1.23?

Bullseye55

• Experienced Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2011, 09:03:33 pm »
Not when I didn't get a chance to make a clean backup of the 1.8.1 .jar file.

Now, if you can provide that, let us update!

GPH

• Purplasm
  • Experienced Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2011, 11:34:30 pm »
Clicky

Literally 30 seconds of googling :P
=||=

Sonya the fox

• Administrator
  • Member++
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2011, 04:51:04 am »
Okay, I think I've left this up long enough, seems like we're installing the fix, AdvGenerators, and the Charging Bench.  Rocketscience will be installed once it has support for SMP, meanwhile Iron Chests is on hold until it gets all of the problems beaten out of it and it is declared v1.0 or greater.  The forcefield I do have to go with trerro on it, not to mention I'm having a beast of a time deciphering the description of all of the components to it.  I will ask that everyone take a quick inventory of their things (screenshots are usually the quickest way but as long as you can give me an "I had <this> and now I don't" type of answer after the upgrade then I don't care.  I will be making a backup, of course, just before the upgrade takes place, and I will list exact version numbers of everything and link their threads to avoid any botches.  Remember, these mods are applied to your IC2 1.23 jar, not your MC 1.8.1 jar!

GPH

• Purplasm
  • Experienced Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2011, 03:04:04 pm »
I'm still of the opinion it would be worth waiting a few weeks to see if IC gets updated for V1 so we don't have to do this multiple times.

But you're the one who's going to be putting in the effort and updating the server so if you wanna go for it don't let me stop you :P

I've taken a quick inventory of my stuff.

I have way more coal than I realised :P
=||=

Sonya the fox

• Administrator
  • Member++
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 29, 2011, 12:31:23 am »
Performing the upgrade now, world has not been backed up just yet as the jars are not ready.  You will need:
IC2 v1.23
MC beta v1.8.1, prepared with the stuff listed in http://wiki.industrial-craft.net/index.php?title=Download (NOTE: You MUST get MCForge again as it has moved up to 1.1.2 since our server upgrade to IC2 v1.15, your forge may be out of date at 1.1.1)
IC Efficiency v0.7 http://forum.industrial-craft.net/index.php?page=Thread&threadID=2360
AdvGenerators pr5 http://forum.industrial-craft.net/index.php?page=Thread&threadID=2483
Charging Bench v1.23-2b http://forum.industrial-craft.net/index.php?page=Thread&threadID=929
RocketScience is not SMP compatable yet, do not try to connect with it.
I will make further announcements when I conduct the actual upgrade, right now I am doing the prep work on the jars on my side of the wire and leaving the server running.

EDIT: I can't update until I get a clean server jar.  I am hoping that Trerro, as the one who set this server up to begin with, can shoot me a copy of the jar as I don't think simply editing the one on the server now will suffice
« Last Edit: November 29, 2011, 03:02:26 am by Sonya the fox »

Trerro

• Administrator
  • Defender of Meep
    • View Profile
    • Chaos Cluster
« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2011, 08:24:57 am »
I unfortunately don't think I still have an unmodded 1.8.1 jar, just a backup of what we're already running. I'll check my laptop tomorrow to see if that has a copy, if not, we may be screwed until something that works with MC2.0.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2011, 08:34:33 am by Trerro »
Order of Chaos (Ragnarok Online, iRO Ymir) guildmaster - Mwrip (99/70 High Wizzie)

Dragon Code: DC2.Dw Gm L7f W T Palw Sks Cbk Bfl/"puns" A Fr-- M O H-- $- Fo R++ Ac++ J++ S+ I--# Tc++ E+

"I never knew faith had to come with an instruction manual." - Source Unknown
"My political ideal is the democracy. Let every man be respected as an individual, but let no man be idolized" - Einstein
"Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." - Benjamin Franklin

Sonya the fox

• Administrator
  • Member++
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 01, 2011, 09:01:33 am »
I can try just updating the jar we have now, but it may not suffice.  Worst comes to worst I just reload the world and resume being on v1.15.

Sonya the fox

• Administrator
  • Member++
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 05, 2011, 03:49:22 pm »
Looks like we have new improvements to look forward to once we can get a working jar, v1.337 of IC2 has been released with some nice little improvements it seems.  No I haven't attempted to run it yet, I've been a bit out of it lately and didn't want to blow anything up.

Bullseye55

• Experienced Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 24, 2011, 12:08:55 am »
I've been searching on my database, no luck at all...

Plus, with two major Terraria updates one week from each other, busy doing that.

Though, I'm currently making a process that will help someone make a clear 1.8.1 jar file.