Register

Chaos Cluster has returned.

Chaos Cluster

Author Topic: How fast do you type?  (Read 9577 times)

Trerro

• Administrator
  • Defender of Meep
    • View Profile
    • Chaos Cluster
How fast do you type?
« on: October 29, 2010, 07:33:22 am »
Out of curiosity (while reading http://www.fark.com/cgi/comments.pl?IDLink=5721983), I googled for "typing speed test", which came up with this for a first result:
http://www.typeonline.co.uk/typingspeed.php

I got 77 WPM, with 3 unfixed errors.

I'm curious as to what other people will get here... I'd imagine we're all pretty fast from all the posting we've done over the years. :)
Order of Chaos (Ragnarok Online, iRO Ymir) guildmaster - Mwrip (99/70 High Wizzie)

Dragon Code: DC2.Dw Gm L7f W T Palw Sks Cbk Bfl/"puns" A Fr-- M O H-- $- Fo R++ Ac++ J++ S+ I--# Tc++ E+

"I never knew faith had to come with an instruction manual." - Source Unknown
"My political ideal is the democracy. Let every man be respected as an individual, but let no man be idolized" - Einstein
"Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." - Benjamin Franklin

GPH

• Purplasm
  • Experienced Member
    • View Profile
Re: How fast do you type?
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2010, 04:21:30 pm »
I got 50 the first time round with one error. Did it again because the one they'd given me an extract from a poem with capitals thrown about randomly which really threw me off and it went up to 65 with one mistake :P

So it's really what you're typing as well :\
=||=

pilz

• Member++
  • Loby you too Viggo ;)
    • View Profile
    • Warriors Gap Year Programme
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2010, 08:31:29 am »
I managed this:

Your speed was: 3263wpm.

Congratulations! You made no mistakes, practice does make perfect.

why waste time typing when you can copy paste?  ::)
I'll do a proper one when I get back from work.
Blue and yellow - purple pilz!

Trerro

• Administrator
  • Defender of Meep
    • View Profile
    • Chaos Cluster
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2010, 04:55:03 pm »
I got 50 the first time round with one error. Did it again because the one they'd given me an extract from a poem with capitals thrown about randomly which really threw me off and it went up to 65 with one mistake :P

So it's really what you're typing as well :\

Ah, I didn't realize they varied that much. The one I got was a pain to type... I'll try an easier one to compare. There likely won't be a *huge* difference for me though, since writing code involves a whole lot of symbols.

I managed this:

Your speed was: 3263wpm.

LOL. Yes, the mechanism they're testing with is obvious, and easily cheated, but then you could also just lie when you post your results anyway, so I don't see this being a real issue.

Besides, the thread isn't a "who's better?" contest, it's more of a "how much better is a forum community, collectively, than a more typical group of computer users?"

Edit: I tried 2 more tests, and got a 74 with 6 errors, and an 84 with no errors. That's only slightly less variance than GPH got, and since I'm used to typing symbols and crap as a programmer anyway, it makes sense that my variance would be a bit lower. I'm guessing most are going to get a range of 10-15 on their WPM score, and a range of around 5 on the errors. Because this seems to like to use weird sentence structure, excess capitalization, etc, the high end of your range is probably your real typing speed when you aren't typing stuff that follows an unusual format.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2010, 05:06:54 pm by Trerro »
Order of Chaos (Ragnarok Online, iRO Ymir) guildmaster - Mwrip (99/70 High Wizzie)

Dragon Code: DC2.Dw Gm L7f W T Palw Sks Cbk Bfl/"puns" A Fr-- M O H-- $- Fo R++ Ac++ J++ S+ I--# Tc++ E+

"I never knew faith had to come with an instruction manual." - Source Unknown
"My political ideal is the democracy. Let every man be respected as an individual, but let no man be idolized" - Einstein
"Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." - Benjamin Franklin

pilz

• Member++
  • Loby you too Viggo ;)
    • View Profile
    • Warriors Gap Year Programme
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2010, 08:18:21 pm »
yeah I know, just thought it was funny they made it so easy to get round it.
My real one was only:

Your speed was: 58wpm.

Congratulations! You made no mistakes, practice does make perfect.

I kept getting tripped up by capital words and the semi colons. Also being naturally retarded at reading onto the second line didn't help either.
Blue and yellow - purple pilz!

iggy

• Member++
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2010, 02:32:58 am »
62 surprisingly, two mistakes though because I did not understand the word and I'm fairly blind from one eye, so I just guessed :p

oddblob :)

• i like me
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2010, 07:38:23 pm »
i got

Your speed was: 52wpm.

You made 2 mistakes, your mistakes are shown in bold text:

Though it was nearly a year since her husband's death, emmeiling ajkghapro;ijga'\c
i got bored quickly
well know...this is an act called mating, but there are a few differences between human beings and animals that you should know about....

Ice-master

• Concordia res parvae crescunt.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2011, 12:11:42 pm »
Your speed was: 56wpm.

You made 6 mistakes, your mistakes are shown in bold text:

The Union Corse ! Now at least some of the mystery was explained. Bond looked across the desk into the brown eyes that were now shrewdly watching his reactions while his mind flicked thourgh the file that bore the innocent title, "The Union Corse", more deadly and perhaps even older that the Unione Siciliano, the Mafia. He knew that it controlled most organised crime throughoutt metropolitan France and her colonies - protection rackets, smuggling, prostitution and the suppression of rival gangs.

oddblob :)

• i like me
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2011, 12:19:00 am »
ok, i actually did it this time:

your speed was: 43wpm.

You made 22 mistakes, your mistakes are shown in bold text:

It was Mrs may who nfirst tld me about them. No, not me, how could irt have been me - a wild, untidy, self-willed little girl who stared with angry eyes abd was said to crunch her teeth? Kate, she should have been called. yes that was it o kate. not that the name matters mych either way; she barlet comes into the story. Mrs may lived in the two rooms in kate's parets house in london;l she was i thnk, some kind o relation. her bedroom was on the first floor, and her sitting room was a room which, as part of the house was called the breakfast room

well know...this is an act called mating, but there are a few differences between human beings and animals that you should know about....

SirGalahad

« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2011, 10:50:56 pm »
idk... in JUNIOR HIGH i did 80+ wpm with 2 errors... junior high... *Sir Galahad rests*