Register

Chaos Cluster has returned.

Chaos Cluster

Author Topic: Science and the Meaning of Life  (Read 6102 times)

Trerro

• Administrator
  • Defender of Meep
    • View Profile
    • Chaos Cluster
Science and the Meaning of Life
« on: March 24, 2010, 08:14:53 am »
http://andrewsullivan.theatlantic.com/the_daily_dish/2010/03/science-and-the-meaning-of-life.html

This is an interesting speech which I found on Fark of all places, that forms a rather good rebuttal to the common misconception that there can only be morality with religion, and that morality is something than can't be objectively studied.

I'll move this to debates if needed. :)
Order of Chaos (Ragnarok Online, iRO Ymir) guildmaster - Mwrip (99/70 High Wizzie)

Dragon Code: DC2.Dw Gm L7f W T Palw Sks Cbk Bfl/"puns" A Fr-- M O H-- $- Fo R++ Ac++ J++ S+ I--# Tc++ E+

"I never knew faith had to come with an instruction manual." - Source Unknown
"My political ideal is the democracy. Let every man be respected as an individual, but let no man be idolized" - Einstein
"Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." - Benjamin Franklin

SirGalahad

Re: Science and the Meaning of Life
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2011, 11:25:05 pm »
well now, i think that religion is the discipline of showing many parts, and eventually hopefully all parts of something greater than the base and/or whole of something; it is purely without profanity of things greater, mastery of things lesser, with the morality that these things are just. i put forth that (first of all, the book of Ecclesiastes writes that 'everything is meaningless' (if life is all, and all is meaningless, life is meaningless, there is no room for understanding anything with life, no understanding for morality) and the overall book where Ecclesiastes is found in writes that the 'priests profane the holy things' when they work...this is not at a detest, it is more that through doing the same thing so many times, they themselves have lost the meaning of the holiness, only their righteousness may still hold onto if they are truly holy, and therefore they are saved only by grace, that man does not always remember, sometimes man forgets, and of this forgets the same measure of holiness they are to take) the ways of The Lord are without understanding, eventually all with be lost, even as this is spoken of before it happens, but what is ratified, even a human will if ratified cannot be disputed, an unblemished life, is enough that when it is seen, what it stood for will show enough, if it stood for morality, it too may have eventually been led to lose it's holiness, or righteousness, but dying it was brought to life and its morality shows enough, speaking more to perhaps about parts of later talk that morality will remain if it is just. no, just or unjust it dies. whatever life means, it means for only a time, that it is seen, and the living will move on to do what they think they ought, even a Gentile (not a Jew) who does what they think they ought become a law unto themselves, and so they will be judged, good deeds for good, and bad for bad. who would dare talk of science? are not more things found every moment? (shucks, why doesn't my phone have it built-in already)(all the functions they want) or if science was pure, we could mind what 2+2 always equals, add elements of the world, and live as we already are, when our minds believe the next step without error, without waste. but Life tests by fire, a small life is still part of Life, if Life made things over a start of 6 days, evenings and then mornings, and it was tired, the latter works showing that they were more evil (man)(it was not good for man to be lonely)(every thought of man was evil) and there was much waste, then still everything is meaningless, all of science given in a moment would still have us move as we mostly do already, or science tells us that if we move too fastly, or don't do anything, or 'will' something to happen, we will tear ourselves apart or die or nothing will really happen. but life tells if we believe and ask and submit, it will be done for us. for if something as unmoral or meaningless as respect is still earned, it shows even the smallest of things are brougt to fruition, respect has no morality, it does not begat more life. but it does profane. it does seem haughty. it does easily work trust. it does move a man to do something different. it is not a science. but what is done is the law. and this is some of respect. it would become a science, done enough, or a little. it would mean what life means to some, seeing it has been neglected, and again restored. the chased run, but do not always die, nor always live; it is meaningless. **

Valsidor

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2011, 11:51:31 am »
After my eyes stopped bleeding from the text block, I figured that morality is tied to who you are and your personality. Religion may be a part of it, it may not. A "good person" is not always so because they're religious. Neither is a "bad person" always non-religious. It comes down to who you are as a person.

SirGalahad

« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2011, 03:49:34 pm »
there is something written, 'what part does righteousness have with unrighteousness?' well if women are to submit to their husbands, and be subordinate in all things, why should a woman feel she should improve on herself, or make herself just? nothing she does is really seen.