Register

Chaos Cluster has returned.

Chaos Cluster

Author Topic: Looks like there's finally a viable XFire replacement  (Read 58921 times)

Trerro

• Administrator
  • Defender of Meep
    • View Profile
    • Chaos Cluster
Looks like there's finally a viable XFire replacement
« on: May 15, 2016, 06:34:39 pm »
There's a program called Discord. It lightweight, free, doesn't appear to have any ads, and seems to basically be what XFire should've been.

-You can create a server for a group, under which users can be assigned any permission settings, including allowing multiple admins.
-You can run multiple rooms, both text and voice, and they'll be under the same general side icon. These can also be sub-controlled, so if we need say... a more private room for strategizing as opposed to a public one that gets posted everywhere and is fully publicly accessible we can do that. It also allows to us split off general chat and RP, for those who are looking for one and not the other, or simply want them on separate logs. Rooms can be freely made and deleted, so if we need say... a temp room for one battle in one game, create, use, poof.
-It appears to support both the "Here's who's playing what" and the ability to run via overlay inside a game - the two main things that made XFire famous in the first place.
-It has a downloadable desktop client, downloadable phone client, and an in-browser version for when you're somewhere you don't want to or can't downloading.
-It puts everything into one icon, so you click the CC icon and there's all of our current rooms. No need to play the "where did that Skype room I haven't touched in a few days go" game?
-So far, I haven't seen any ridiculous start-up times, random crashes, rooms disappearing/renaming/changing owner for no good reason, random errors, or any of the many, many issues XFire had.

If you'd like to try it out, here's the site:
https://discordapp.com/

Here's the quick overview of what it does (including what it does that Skype won't):
https://discordapp.com/features
Order of Chaos (Ragnarok Online, iRO Ymir) guildmaster - Mwrip (99/70 High Wizzie)

Dragon Code: DC2.Dw Gm L7f W T Palw Sks Cbk Bfl/"puns" A Fr-- M O H-- $- Fo R++ Ac++ J++ S+ I--# Tc++ E+

"I never knew faith had to come with an instruction manual." - Source Unknown
"My political ideal is the democracy. Let every man be respected as an individual, but let no man be idolized" - Einstein
"Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." - Benjamin Franklin

ZeroTigress

• Member++
    • View Profile
    • Ragnarök Wiki
Re: Looks like there's finally a viable XFire replacement
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2016, 06:44:45 am »
I tried it and there are some things I'm not too crazy about (one thing being that it wouldn't log me in for some reason until one day it just FINALLY worked). I don't like how the channels are set up so the voice chat channels are separate from the text chat channels so you can't really talk to people in the same text chat if they're not tuned in to the same voice chat channel. And this is why I prefer to stick with RaidCall, even though the international client is being managed by Russians (less chances of DDOSing maybe?).
Wandering around in iRO with no one to play with? Join the iRO Community RaidCall!

pilz

• Member++
  • Loby you too Viggo ;)
    • View Profile
    • Warriors Gap Year Programme
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2017, 09:07:33 pm »
Is there a CC room for this? I've seen some people using Discord, I'm not a huge fan but its certainly a popular choice these days, and with so many versions of the app its very portable which I'm sure boosts its popularity.
Blue and yellow - purple pilz!

Pitvrug

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2018, 05:30:41 am »
Late reply.

I've been using discord for a couple of months now. Our gaming group created a room, with sub-spaces for all the games we play, and it seems to work well.