Register

Chaos Cluster has returned.

Chaos Cluster

Author Topic: A fix in sight!  (Read 8330 times)

Sonya the fox

• Administrator
  • Member++
    • View Profile
A fix in sight!
« on: October 30, 2011, 05:31:18 am »
http://forum.industrial-craft.net/index.php?page=Thread&threadID=2360&s=df71277e03ba29867fe453131b1f1b38b78e9f1d

There is a fix for the solar array server killer, and I don't know if the quantum suit fix he mentions has anything to do with some of the crashes or not.  Just something else, besides Construction Foam, to encourage updating to v1.23, and also enhance the server some.

GPH

• Purplasm
  • Experienced Member
    • View Profile
Re: A fix in sight!
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2011, 10:18:38 am »
Does anybody else not understand what the point of construction foam is?

It seems quite heavy of the resource side. I assume its difficult to destory and can be coloured? Thats the only reason I can think that you'd want to bother with the stuff.

But anyways if we think upgrading will stop the server crashes then I am pro upgrading :P
=||=

Sonya the fox

• Administrator
  • Member++
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2011, 05:56:07 pm »
Does anybody else not understand what the point of construction foam is?

It seems quite heavy of the resource side. I assume its difficult to destory and can be coloured? Thats the only reason I can think that you'd want to bother with the stuff.

But anyways if we think upgrading will stop the server crashes then I am pro upgrading :P

Construction Foam is a cheaper alternative to Reinforced Stone, I think, especially if the sprayer works like I think it does (1 pellet = 13 blocks from the sprayer).  It also uses resources that are otherwise in abundance, exception being the tin required but even then it's better than the tin, copper, and IRON needed for reinforced stone.

As for crashing, first I've gotta figure out how to get 1.23 to work client side, for some reason 1.15 will load but all of my fussing gets me nowhere on making 1.23 work...

Bullseye55

• Experienced Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2011, 06:15:21 pm »
Yep, my quantom suit was causing crashes...
Indomitus Barracks Coordinator Leader

Sonya the fox

• Administrator
  • Member++
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2011, 05:49:28 pm »
Okay, after playing with 1.23 on SSP, construction foam is similar to obsidian, even in that it blocks nukes semi-well.  It's also paintable, and 1clay block+1coal+1redstone+1water cell(1/4tin)=3 foam-(compressed)> 3 CF pellets=6 sprays of the CF sprayer it seems, and that's 13foam per spray if it can put it all out.  Just some data for those of you crunching numbers and trying to decide what is more cost-effective.

In order to run 1.23, you have to update your MCForge to 1.1.2 or it will not run.

Oh, and when painting the hardened foam I heard Tetris music in the background.  This stuff is pushable with pistons by the way, so those of you who want to be more efficient can instead of trimming off badly placed foam can instead use a piston to push it around.

Trerro

• Administrator
  • Defender of Meep
    • View Profile
    • Chaos Cluster
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2011, 09:56:29 pm »
Ah, good, that should be a huge help.

* Server no longer pointlessly pulses chunk updates - HUGE IMPROVEMENT!

This is also big. If you watch our server with F3, you'll see the chunk update count doing ridiculous things like updating 250 chunks while only 2 people are on and doing little to nothing (and nothing outside their present chunk). I think some of our crashes may also be from this, as we're asking our 1 gb VPS to handle the sort of load we should be seeing with ~50 people logged in.
Order of Chaos (Ragnarok Online, iRO Ymir) guildmaster - Mwrip (99/70 High Wizzie)

Dragon Code: DC2.Dw Gm L7f W T Palw Sks Cbk Bfl/"puns" A Fr-- M O H-- $- Fo R++ Ac++ J++ S+ I--# Tc++ E+

"I never knew faith had to come with an instruction manual." - Source Unknown
"My political ideal is the democracy. Let every man be respected as an individual, but let no man be idolized" - Einstein
"Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." - Benjamin Franklin

Sonya the fox

• Administrator
  • Member++
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2011, 12:48:44 am »
If it happens to be when I'm on, it 'might' have something to do with when I suddenly switch to far view, I'm not sure.  Maybe far view right after I step through a portal.  Just possibilities of what could be causing such chunk loading.

Lomaz

• Administrator
  • Experienced Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2011, 10:20:59 pm »
Maybe one day soon i'll start playing again, but the game seems to have moved on too far from "dig a hole, build a house, repeat" style that i enjoyed so much :(

GPH

• Purplasm
  • Experienced Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2011, 05:45:58 pm »
All the extra stuff doesn't stop you doing that.

It just means there are other things to do as well :P

I've been holding off doing stuff as I assume the updates will require another server reset. Do we have any sort of schedule for this or is it just wait and see?
=||=

Sonya the fox

• Administrator
  • Member++
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2011, 12:28:49 am »
If another reset does occur, I'll personally see what I can do about using a map editor to move entire creations over 'whole', including spawning the new world using the same seed so that things fit unless popular demand (only people who have built in this world get to vote on that one) wants to run a new seed, in which case creations will get saved until they can be placed.  The creation moving is in addition to shifting loot/resources/machines/whatever.

Anyway, that said, that addon forum on the official IC2 forum is definitely worth looking through, I'll post a new thread with some of the ones I kinda like, the only one I've actually tried is the charging bench, which looks like a handy tool to have around now that it's a (de)charging bench.