Should we keep our current server seed?

Keep It
0 (0%)
Dump It
4 (57.1%)
No Preference
3 (42.9%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Author Topic: Are people happy with the current world?  (Read 17622 times)

Trerro

• Administrator
  • Defender of Meep
    • View Profile
    • Chaos Cluster
Re: Are people happy with the current world?
« Reply #15 on: September 27, 2011, 08:11:43 pm »
IC2 shouldn't require a reset. The rubber trees and IC ores won't appear in existing chunks, but that just means we have to explore further out for it, it'll be the whole "discovering a lost civilization" effect.

As for whether any official updates will require one, that's hard to predict. AFAIK, 1.8 was the first time one was ever required... but that doesn't tell us whether 1.9 or 2.0 will also require one. I'm guessing it likely won't, since the issue with 1.8 is that the way terrain is built changed, so there was simply no way to apply the new rules to a world seeded by the old method. AFAIK, 1.9 is mostly RPGish stuff - xp orbs working, bosses, etc, and I can't see any of that needing a reset.

I really don't know if this is the final release of stuff like the biome code or not, so we *may* need another reset, but if so, it's unknown when, and it's unlikely to be anytime soon.
Order of Chaos (Ragnarok Online, iRO Ymir) guildmaster - Mwrip (99/70 High Wizzie)

Dragon Code: DC2.Dw Gm L7f W T Palw Sks Cbk Bfl/"puns" A Fr-- M O H-- $- Fo R++ Ac++ J++ S+ I--# Tc++ E+

"I never knew faith had to come with an instruction manual." - Source Unknown
"My political ideal is the democracy. Let every man be respected as an individual, but let no man be idolized" - Einstein
"Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." - Benjamin Franklin

GPH

• Purplasm
  • Experienced Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 27, 2011, 08:24:01 pm »
IC2 shouldn't require a reset. The rubber trees and IC ores won't appear in existing chunks, but that just means we have to explore further out for it, it'll be the whole "discovering a lost civilization" effect.

Seems like it'll be more than a tad inconvenient for everyones mines to be several days walk (or more) from their houses is my main concern :P Still, I suppose that's what teleporters are for :D

So have a central hub where everyone has a house and a few community projects are. Then people can have teleporters in their house to their mine/secret base and other public teleporters out to more distant community projects. That what you were thinking?
=||=

Sonya the fox

• Administrator
  • Member++
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 27, 2011, 08:49:59 pm »

Seems like it'll be more than a tad inconvenient for everyones mines to be several days walk (or more) from their houses is my main concern :P Still, I suppose that's what teleporters are for :D

So have a central hub where everyone has a house and a few community projects are. Then people can have teleporters in their house to their mine/secret base and other public teleporters out to more distant community projects. That what you were thinking?

Okay, teleporters are nifty, but lets assume your mine and home are 1000 blocks away from eachother (but I'm sure the distance will be greater).

Quote from: IC2 wiki
Cost to teleport a Player: Distance * (1000 + Inventory + Armor)

Inventory: For each non empty slot add (100 * Current stack size) / Max stack size

Armor: For each equipped armor add 100.

So let's just start with moving materials.  Maybe you wait until you have a ton of stuff before making your trip and go with the equivalent of 15 full stacks, and you carry no tools back and forth.  That's 1000*(1000+1500)=2.5 million EU to send you home, but thankfully only 1mil to send you out if you carry nothing with you.  Double those numbers, though, because in all likelihood your mine will have to be further out.  Oh, what's that?  No power generation at your mine?  No problem, let's just cart energy crystals back and forth.  Add on another 100,000 to 200,000 EU to the trip each way per crystal (same cost for Lapotron Crystals too, they just hold more and require MFSU's on each side).  My point is that Teleporters will be a very expensive alternative.  With luck, though, the Nether Portals will get fixed sometime soon to....I'll finish this thought in a little while, I'm gonna go play around and experiment.

Trerro

• Administrator
  • Defender of Meep
    • View Profile
    • Chaos Cluster
« Reply #18 on: September 27, 2011, 09:12:35 pm »
What is the Nether:Normal Plane movement ratio, 8:1? If so, even if it's a 2000 square journey, it gets clipped down to 250. Just watch out for fireballs. :P
Order of Chaos (Ragnarok Online, iRO Ymir) guildmaster - Mwrip (99/70 High Wizzie)

Dragon Code: DC2.Dw Gm L7f W T Palw Sks Cbk Bfl/"puns" A Fr-- M O H-- $- Fo R++ Ac++ J++ S+ I--# Tc++ E+

"My political ideal is the democracy. Let every man be respected as an individual, but let no man be idolized" - Einstein
"Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." - Benjamin Franklin

Sonya the fox

• Administrator
  • Member++
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 27, 2011, 09:15:48 pm »
What is the Nether:Normal Plane movement ratio, 8:1? If so, even if it's a 2000 square journey, it gets clipped down to 250. Just watch out for fireballs. :P

Just create tunnels, possibly glass if you wanted to be able to see around you, as long as it was a complete enclosure they will not shoot.

Trerro

• Administrator
  • Defender of Meep
    • View Profile
    • Chaos Cluster
« Reply #20 on: September 27, 2011, 09:39:16 pm »
I wonder if setting off a nuke in a sandy area makes glass instantly... :)

Sonya the fox

• Administrator
  • Member++
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 28, 2011, 12:15:14 am »
Okay, making portals from the nether works, making portals from the overworld just sends you to the first portal made.  Portals from the nether dump you 'close' to a 1:8 ratio in the overworld.  By close I mean coordinates translate 1:8, with 0,0 going to 0,0, but are off by as much as 10 blocks in X or Z, and you're at the mercy of the portal gods for your Y coordinate.

Some data:
Nether Portal   Overworld portal
-18,35,-36      -125,12,-281  <--- first portal
-38,37,-46      -294,31,-378
 21,52, 20       172,38, 156

EDIT: On another note, I hear the server's re-seed is being held off until there are a few members present to make the decision on what seed to use as a group.  Here's my input: I will adapt or terraform a location if I can't find one that doesn't already meet the conditions needed for whatever it is that I decide to build, and I don't know what I'll build until I build it.

Valsidor

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 28, 2011, 01:31:06 am »
I'll build on, around, through, under, or into anything.  :P

Sonya the fox

• Administrator
  • Member++
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 29, 2011, 10:20:58 pm »
On the subject of teleporters being used to make long walks shorter?  Don't.  Swapping between the Nether and overworld could cause all teleporters to spontaneously explode for no reason, and since you need power units (possibly along the lines of an MFSU) directly attached to it (sharing a side), you won't want to have it going boom on you. Recommend we stick to a portal network.