GPH

• Purplasm
  • Experienced Member
    • View Profile
Vocab
« on: July 28, 2011, 07:25:07 pm »
Clicky

Go go go!

I have the vocab of a 31 year old apparently...which is backed up by people describing my language as 'mature' <_<
=||=

Tyred

• Member++
    • View Profile
Re: Vocab
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2011, 07:42:52 pm »
Approximate vocabulary is 28,100 words (putting me with GPH for "age" of 31).

I need to work on reading more...
Back on the old RA, I was the resident counting fanatic, literature snob, Tetris champion, moderator of forums I never used and games I rarely played, Hexxagon champion, stupidest smart person, and incompetent admin. I hope my legacy here will be just as meaningful... or not.

Member as of June 20th, 2004 (yeah, I've been lurking around here for FOURTEEN years...)

"Both human stupidity and the universe are infinite, although I am not sure about the latter." Albert Einstein
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic." Arthur C. Clarke
"For sale: Baby shoes, never worn." The shortest story ever written, attributed to Ernest Hemingway, but likely anonymous

Trerro

• Administrator
  • Defender of Meep
    • View Profile
    • Chaos Cluster
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2011, 08:04:42 pm »
23,000 words for me. I need to read a *lot* more apparently. :P

Of course, the test was also 100% standard lit, so it's missing tech stuff as well as the kind of stuff common in SF and Fantasy.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2011, 08:17:15 pm by Trerro »
Order of Chaos (Ragnarok Online, iRO Ymir) guildmaster - Mwrip (99/70 High Wizzie)

Dragon Code: DC2.Dw Gm L7f W T Palw Sks Cbk Bfl/"puns" A Fr-- M O H-- $- Fo R++ Ac++ J++ S+ I--# Tc++ E+

"I never knew faith had to come with an instruction manual." - Source Unknown
"My political ideal is the democracy. Let every man be respected as an individual, but let no man be idolized" - Einstein
"Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." - Benjamin Franklin

iggy

• Member++
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2011, 01:20:12 am »
It says 9340 words, but that's probably because I've never taken those stupid tests and they just assume foreigners suck at english :P

GPH

• Purplasm
  • Experienced Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2011, 10:11:50 pm »
Actually being a non-native english speaker you did pretty well. If you look at the blog section theres a bit where they discuss non-native english speakers.

Average was 7kish. The main difference seems to be with those people who have spent years abroad though. Just one year abroad ups the average to 9k and another 1-2k for each additional year. Point being I suppose that theres simply no need to know the definition of most words because they come up so infrequently, so you can be fluent in a language without needing loads of superfluous words :P
=||=

iggy

• Member++
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2011, 12:29:03 am »
Actually being a non-native english speaker you did pretty well. If you look at the blog section theres a bit where they discuss non-native english speakers.

Average was 7kish. The main difference seems to be with those people who have spent years abroad though. Just one year abroad ups the average to 9k and another 1-2k for each additional year. Point being I suppose that theres simply no need to know the definition of most words because they come up so infrequently, so you can be fluent in a language without needing loads of superfluous words :P

I'd like to do exceptionally well! Also, your english is GHASTLY! Mine is... wunderbar!

Sigh thats another language :(