Register

Chaos Cluster has returned.

Chaos Cluster

Author Topic: CC Credits, Etc.  (Read 7060 times)

Bullseye55

• Experienced Member
    • View Profile
CC Credits, Etc.
« on: June 20, 2011, 06:25:05 pm »
Can someone explain what all of this is used for?:

Experience, Chaos Cluster Credits, and others.

Second Question: Can you, Trerro, fill me in on the details on Xfire?

I can't get it if it requres a webcam or you can hear other's voices. I can get it if is only text based.

Which definition fits Xfire?
« Last Edit: June 20, 2011, 06:44:45 pm by Bullseye55 »
Indomitus Barracks Coordinator Leader

Trerro

• Administrator
  • Defender of Meep
    • View Profile
    • Chaos Cluster
Re: CC Credits, Etc.
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2011, 11:01:46 pm »
We used to have an exp system on our site, where'd you gain exp and credits for posting and doing other stuff. These could be spent on various items and skills, and it was eventually going to develop into a small game. We don't currently have such a system, but I'll be coding a new one as we switch to version 2 of this forum software. (V2 was released very recently, and doesn't have an API yet, but should soon.) For now, just ignore mentions of xp and creds, as they don't presently exist.

XFire is a gamer-oriented IM service. It's primarily a text-based service, and can be used for both instant messages and chat rooms, much like AIM or MSN.

The gamer-oriented part comes in that it will automatically detect what you're playing, allowing people to see that, and launch that game and connect to that server to join you. (If you're not a fan of revealing this sort of thing, you can disable this feature.) Additionally, for games that support it, you'll get a small notification that you have messages in the corner, and can respond instead the game, without tabbing out. It also does stats tracking, so if you're curious as to how relatively often you play each game, you can pull up the list and see. It has a couple of other handy features, like the ability to quickly capture and save a screenshot inside a game, or even record video if you're trying to do something like make a video guide to something. You can also launch a browser inside a game, great for doing something like opening up a quest guide without leaving a game. There's also an auto-updater thingie that will attempt to get current patches for all of your games. (If you find this annoying rather than helpful, you can disable it.) I think I covered all the big stuff. In short, it's a useful toolkit for gamers rolled into an IM client that's designed to be used while gaming.

As with AIM, it supports voice chat, but is rarely used for such, and never without your consent. You either have to join a voice chat channel (which you'll only be in if you create the chat or accept an invite to one), or you "answer" a "call". It is therefore very easy to avoid if you don't want to ever use it. So essentially, it's there, but only if you want it to be.

Webcams are not normally used. There is a "broadcast" thing that can be used in conjunction with recording in-game video, but it's disabled by default, and very few use it. I don't really know the details of how it works, as I've personally never used it. There is no video chat in XFire AFAIK.
Order of Chaos (Ragnarok Online, iRO Ymir) guildmaster - Mwrip (99/70 High Wizzie)

Dragon Code: DC2.Dw Gm L7f W T Palw Sks Cbk Bfl/"puns" A Fr-- M O H-- $- Fo R++ Ac++ J++ S+ I--# Tc++ E+

"I never knew faith had to come with an instruction manual." - Source Unknown
"My political ideal is the democracy. Let every man be respected as an individual, but let no man be idolized" - Einstein
"Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." - Benjamin Franklin

Bullseye55

• Experienced Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2011, 06:16:31 pm »
That's only one point what I asked for.

But, what exactly were the credits and experience used for?

Like, name changes, just things what you could do with them.
Indomitus Barracks Coordinator Leader

Trerro

• Administrator
  • Defender of Meep
    • View Profile
    • Chaos Cluster
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2011, 09:30:35 pm »
There were a few difference versions of it on different sites, but it was generally stuff like changing forum titles, alter sigs, do silly things like appearing to be level 999 temporarily, etc. We would also include the occasional rare item, such as the time where we allowed the first 3 people to buy a very expensive item to get a forum as a subforum of Off Topic.

I'm not sure exactly what's going to be in the new one initially, but I plan to have this one have more options than the previous ones in the long run. Our previous ones were limited by the fact that we were using a pre-coded shop module that didn't leave us much room for customizing, while I'm going to be building this one from scratch.

Exp was used to level up. Levels gave you skill points, stat points, and unlocked new skills to buy with said skill points. Max level was 100, and the skills were either available at the start, or unlocked at level 20 or 50.

The stat points never actually did anything because the system never got finished, but were going to affect several things.

The skill points were used for a variety of skills, including stuff like:
-A vault that would auto-earn credits every day, with the catch that others could raid it
-Spying and Theft missions to raid others' vaults.
-The ability to award a certain amount of exp and creds to other users daily, without spending any of your own stuff.
-The ability to establish an exp multiplier (which turned out to be a terrible idea)

I don't remember the whole list at this point, as it's been quite a while.
Order of Chaos (Ragnarok Online, iRO Ymir) guildmaster - Mwrip (99/70 High Wizzie)

Dragon Code: DC2.Dw Gm L7f W T Palw Sks Cbk Bfl/"puns" A Fr-- M O H-- $- Fo R++ Ac++ J++ S+ I--# Tc++ E+

"I never knew faith had to come with an instruction manual." - Source Unknown
"My political ideal is the democracy. Let every man be respected as an individual, but let no man be idolized" - Einstein
"Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." - Benjamin Franklin