Register

Discord server is operational: https://discord.gg/tnbbFAQ

Chaos Cluster

Author Topic: Tracking down the outages - help needed  (Read 4985 times)

Trerro

• Administrator
  • Defender of Meep
    • View Profile
    • Chaos Cluster
Tracking down the outages - help needed
« on: April 17, 2010, 09:56:26 am »
As you've probably noticed, the site keeps going down. The outages are very short - usually no more than a minute, but they're also very frequent, making them a major annoyance. Unfortunately, the really short length of the outages paired with the fact that they fix themselves is not making it at all obvious what exactly is failing.

Apache isn't reporting anything but a bunch of failed IP lookups (from not having a tool installed)
The firewall is bouncing some connections, but not on a very large scale, not a whole lot in the same minute or two, and none with my own IP.
The other logs don't seem to be reporting anything out of the ordinary.

A check of system resources reports we're using just over half of our RAM, and less than 20% of our CPU, neither of which are remotely close to being an issue.

I see the firewall blocking a bunch of stuff, but I don't think that's the problem, as I don't see my own IP on any of the blocks, and it HAS gone down for me.

The next time it goes out for you, please let me know:
1. The exact time it failed.
2. What, if anything, you were doing at the time.

Also, please try the following while it's down from a command prompt (start-run-cmd):
1. ping chaoscluster.com
2. ping 67.207.129.30
These should either both work or both fail, and if they both work, ping times should be similar. If it works by IP but not domain, or they both work but with by domain having a huge ping time, then the problem is likely not with the server itself, but with our domain.

Regardless, the more user data I can get on this, the better my chances of figuring out what broke. All help is appreciated.
Order of Chaos (Ragnarok Online, iRO Ymir) guildmaster - Mwrip (99/70 High Wizzie)

Dragon Code: DC2.Dw Gm L7f W T Palw Sks Cbk Bfl/"puns" A Fr-- M O H-- $- Fo R++ Ac++ J++ S+ I--# Tc++ E+

"I never knew faith had to come with an instruction manual." - Source Unknown
"My political ideal is the democracy. Let every man be respected as an individual, but let no man be idolized" - Einstein
"Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." - Benjamin Franklin