Register

Chaos Cluster has returned.

Chaos Cluster

Author Topic: Improv RP idea  (Read 10961 times)

Trerro

• Administrator
  • Defender of Meep
    • View Profile
    • Chaos Cluster
Improv RP idea
« on: August 29, 2015, 03:16:22 pm »
I'm thinking of running a series of improv RP games. Don't worry about knowledge of any particular system or world setting or any of that - you will need precisely zero of that to play in these. :)

How it works:

Step 1: What are we working with?
Everyone not running the game calls off two things that must be incorporated into it, one idea per round in two rounds. This can be anything from a minor detail to something huge like a genre. Absolutely nothing called off prevents anything else from being called off, even if it sounds absurd for the two to coexist.

Step 2: Setting it up
The person running the game has 20 minutes to take that pile of ideas and use ALL of them to create a scenario. This will, of course, be VERY loosely defined.

Everyone else has 20 minutes to make a character, and has no idea what the scenario is because you're doing this at the same time! There are no dice or skill levels or any of that. Simply describe what you would make for the list of stuff that was called off. If numbers help you flesh out an idea, don't be afraid to use them, but they aren't going to plugged in anywhere.

Step 3: RP!
A whole bunch of random stuff just got called off, a scenario got cobbled together, and people slapped together a bunch of characters that they created on a moment's notice with a ridiculously vague idea of what they were building them for. So, now what? See where it runs! It could be awesome, it could be awesomely silly, it could be off the nearest cliff! Whatever it is though, it will most certainly NOT be something you've played before. :)

Some other details:
-This is primarily meant for one-shot RP sessions, but there's no reason an especially fun one can't be continued.

-This is ideal for medium-sized groups, probably 4-8 players. We'll want enough people that the initial rounds of idea calls result in some interesting chaos, but not so many people that the actual RP gets bogged down.

If you're interesting in trying this, please either post here, or contact me by other means.
Order of Chaos (Ragnarok Online, iRO Ymir) guildmaster - Mwrip (99/70 High Wizzie)

Dragon Code: DC2.Dw Gm L7f W T Palw Sks Cbk Bfl/"puns" A Fr-- M O H-- $- Fo R++ Ac++ J++ S+ I--# Tc++ E+

"I never knew faith had to come with an instruction manual." - Source Unknown
"My political ideal is the democracy. Let every man be respected as an individual, but let no man be idolized" - Einstein
"Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." - Benjamin Franklin

Marcus Sheather-Burton

• Ubernewbieâ„¢
    • View Profile
Re: Improv RP idea
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2015, 09:32:49 am »
This looks like a great idea, but uh - this sounds a bit daft given the nature of the forum - I don't have much RP experience and I feel I am missing something fundamental here...

Besides which, I would almost certainly have time zone issues - I'm assuming this would be in real time!

Trerro

• Administrator
  • Defender of Meep
    • View Profile
    • Chaos Cluster
Re: Improv RP idea
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2015, 11:09:09 pm »
It would be played via chat of some kind, likely Skype, because yeah, it wouldn't really work as a forum thingie. There's several nocturnal people in this alliance, myself included, so you mind find the timezones line up better than you expect. :)
Order of Chaos (Ragnarok Online, iRO Ymir) guildmaster - Mwrip (99/70 High Wizzie)

Dragon Code: DC2.Dw Gm L7f W T Palw Sks Cbk Bfl/"puns" A Fr-- M O H-- $- Fo R++ Ac++ J++ S+ I--# Tc++ E+

"I never knew faith had to come with an instruction manual." - Source Unknown
"My political ideal is the democracy. Let every man be respected as an individual, but let no man be idolized" - Einstein
"Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." - Benjamin Franklin