Register

Discord server is operational: https://discord.gg/tnbbFAQ

Chaos Cluster

Author Topic: Major virus spreading - check here if you're clean  (Read 10454 times)

Trerro

• Administrator
  • Defender of Meep
    • View Profile
    • Chaos Cluster
Major virus spreading - check here if you're clean
« on: July 06, 2012, 11:04:48 pm »
We don't normally bother with this sort of announcement, but this virus especially blows, as it makes you use a false DNS server. For those who don't know what that means, it means sites can be redirected to basically anything, and they can block you from loading pretty much anything they want to, as well as doing things like making you log into a false copy of your bank's site to steal your login. We won't be able to help anyone *after* they get hit (this site likely won't load), but we can help you *before* you do, hence the announcement.

Please go here, and click the link to check for infection:
http://www.dcwg.org/

If you're green, you're fine. If you're not, please follow the removal instructions ASAP while you can still download things from the internet. If all else fails and you don't know how to fix DNS stuff, you can always reformat, but that's a royal pain in the tail, and you can fix an infection in 2 minutes via that site IF you do it ASAP. Please do.
Order of Chaos (Ragnarok Online, iRO Ymir) guildmaster - Mwrip (99/70 High Wizzie)

Dragon Code: DC2.Dw Gm L7f W T Palw Sks Cbk Bfl/"puns" A Fr-- M O H-- $- Fo R++ Ac++ J++ S+ I--# Tc++ E+

"I never knew faith had to come with an instruction manual." - Source Unknown
"My political ideal is the democracy. Let every man be respected as an individual, but let no man be idolized" - Einstein
"Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." - Benjamin Franklin

Bullseye55

• Experienced Member
    • View Profile
Re: Major virus spreading - check here if you're clean
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2012, 03:48:51 am »
This is the Google Redirect Virus, as its Common Name is.

I've gotten it from personal experience. My old computer received it.

Most normal virus detectors do NOT find this virus, nor can they remove it.

Their are a few specialized tools to remove it though.
Indomitus Barracks Coordinator Leader

Trerro

• Administrator
  • Defender of Meep
    • View Profile
    • Chaos Cluster
Re: Major virus spreading - check here if you're clean
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2012, 09:18:17 pm »
A virus scanner can detect the virus as it tries to install, but cannot fix it if it's already there (as it disables checkers)... so it comes down to a question of whether the virus hit first, or the virus scanner updated itself in time. It's definitely not reliable.

As for tools, those are also on the site I linked, as well as a full guide to make absolutely sure you've purged all versions of this thing.
Order of Chaos (Ragnarok Online, iRO Ymir) guildmaster - Mwrip (99/70 High Wizzie)

Dragon Code: DC2.Dw Gm L7f W T Palw Sks Cbk Bfl/"puns" A Fr-- M O H-- $- Fo R++ Ac++ J++ S+ I--# Tc++ E+

"I never knew faith had to come with an instruction manual." - Source Unknown
"My political ideal is the democracy. Let every man be respected as an individual, but let no man be idolized" - Einstein
"Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." - Benjamin Franklin