Register

Chaos Cluster has returned.

Chaos Cluster

Author Topic: As per suggestion, A weekly D&D group.  (Read 10083 times)

Skeeter

• View Profile
As per suggestion, A weekly D&D group.
« on: February 28, 2012, 02:39:21 am »
A number of us were reminiscing in xfire today about playing D&D before, and all wishing we had a community where we could once again play.  I mentioned that CC *is* a community, and that there are plenty of graphical and non-graphical virtual implements for playing the game, as well as plenty of online tools to store characters on, such as a Wikispaces site, or even, possibly, this forum if it got its own board.

There are a lot of ideas floating around; too many for just 4 people to decide on.  Additionally, we'd like to include as many people as want to play, possibly having more than one group as needed.

So far, we have the following penciled in:
1.  We all want to play D&D.  That much is certain.

2.  I am looking into a virtual tabletop called TTopRPG 2.0 which (I think) Leeroy found, trying to figure out if there's any nonsense involved with it that might make it unplayable or otherwise not useful.  If it's not okay, there's always Maptools and thousands of other things out there we could use

3.  Character storage would probably be online or something for the DM to have easy access to changes suggested/made by the players, and vice versa.

4.  3.5E seems to be what we're looking at using.

It's been acknowledged that we've discussed this before, but we never heard of anything coming of it, so we're bringing it up again.

leeroy1001

• View Profile
Re: As per suggestion, A weekly D&D group.
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2012, 02:52:16 am »
I feel like this is  a really good idea. I would like to see if followed through even if it means we have only a few players.

Trerro

• Administrator
  • Defender of Meep
    • View Profile
    • Chaos Cluster
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2012, 03:58:42 am »
It's progressing... slowly. Khan's character sheet is done, he just needs to finish his backstory. Dakon needs to stop using invisible mode on AIM so Sonya and him can coordinate their characters.

3's the min I need to start the campaign, so even just those 3 would be enough to start. Anyone that wants to join absolutely still can, you just need to make a character. Ask me any questions, and let me know if you need me to create anything (even up to a custom race or class, I *am* serious about being willing to do it.)

As for tools, most of DND really doesn't require anything besides chat software with a dice roller. If a particularly tactical battle comes up where the grid actually matters, then yeah, Maptool or other software works. Can you please link me that one you're looking at? I'd like to check it out as well, especially if it's web-based so we can just connect and go. (Even more awesome if it's something I can drop on the CC server.)

For character storage, some kind of character DB would be nice, but even if it's just people making PDF character sheets and passing them to me, that's fine. I'm not super picky about that sort of thing, and I really don't think this group is likely to cheat.

Short version: It can start the second at least 3 characters are done being made. Software to help would be beneficial, but not required. If you want to see it start sooner, be one of the 3. :)
Order of Chaos (Ragnarok Online, iRO Ymir) guildmaster - Mwrip (99/70 High Wizzie)

Dragon Code: DC2.Dw Gm L7f W T Palw Sks Cbk Bfl/"puns" A Fr-- M O H-- $- Fo R++ Ac++ J++ S+ I--# Tc++ E+

"I never knew faith had to come with an instruction manual." - Source Unknown
"My political ideal is the democracy. Let every man be respected as an individual, but let no man be idolized" - Einstein
"Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." - Benjamin Franklin

Skeeter

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2012, 04:27:24 am »
Glad this is still being looked at.  After lots of silence about it on the forums, I wasn't sure it was going to happen.  Sorry if I jumped any guns.

Also, the tool I mentioned has already sort of been nixed, as it's .NET-based, and wouldn't run on a Mac or *nix without considerable work.

Pretty sure rougdrok, Valsidor, Leeroy, and myself are interested in doing this, but I'd prefer they all make their own posts.

leeroy1001

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2012, 04:34:22 am »
Yes, one thousand times yes. I already have several characters made, most notably my level 9 cleric (healer), and my level 1 Pally. I can send the PDF's or whatever Character Builder saves them as to an email, or possibly put on the forum. Just tell me what to do and I will do it.

Trerro

• Administrator
  • Defender of Meep
    • View Profile
    • Chaos Cluster
« Reply #5 on: February 29, 2012, 03:20:10 am »
Yes, one thousand times yes. I already have several characters made, most notably my level 9 cleric (healer), and my level 1 Pally. I can send the PDF's or whatever Character Builder saves them as to an email, or possibly put on the forum. Just tell me what to do and I will do it.

http://forums.chaoscluster.com/index.php?topic=394.0

Here's the basic setup and character creation rules, beyond that, ask anything you need to know.
Order of Chaos (Ragnarok Online, iRO Ymir) guildmaster - Mwrip (99/70 High Wizzie)

Dragon Code: DC2.Dw Gm L7f W T Palw Sks Cbk Bfl/"puns" A Fr-- M O H-- $- Fo R++ Ac++ J++ S+ I--# Tc++ E+

"I never knew faith had to come with an instruction manual." - Source Unknown
"My political ideal is the democracy. Let every man be respected as an individual, but let no man be idolized" - Einstein
"Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." - Benjamin Franklin

KhanCipher

• Target Verified, Commencing Hostilities!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 29, 2012, 04:21:34 am »

http://forums.chaoscluster.com/index.php?topic=394.0

Here's the basic setup and character creation rules, beyond that, ask anything you need to know.

make sure you don't do the same thing i did, and applied CBTrpg character creation logic here...
Quote from: AVGN
This is a Blizzard of Balls, I can't believe Humanity was capable of degrading itself so low as to produce such insulting catastrophe of ass!!