Register

Discord server is operational: https://discord.gg/tnbbFAQ

Chaos Cluster

Author Topic: D&D Campaign Info  (Read 45383 times)

GPH

• Purplasm
  • Experienced Member
    • View Profile
Re: D&D Campaign Info
« Reply #15 on: January 21, 2012, 08:53:28 am »
Just for claritys sake, I'm in GMT :P During the week is probably going to be awkward. I'd only be free from around 8pm-1am (though that would widen if I move out to around 5/6pm-1am)

During the weekends I'm free pretty much whenever although the issue then would be I'd probably miss it occasionally based on doing other things :P

I'd organise it however is most convenient for you guys (in so far as I'm aware I'm the only one so out of sync in terms of time zones?) and then I'll see if I can join in rather than me causing it to be awkward for everyone else :P
=||=

Dakon42

• Semi-Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 07, 2012, 02:58:23 am »
Soo. Any thought to this still?

Trerro

• Administrator
  • Defender of Meep
    • View Profile
    • Chaos Cluster
« Reply #17 on: February 07, 2012, 08:01:00 am »
As long as we have 3 people with characters actually made, we can start this. Others can always jump in later.

I'm going to do a quick writeup on the forest part of world for both foxes in a few days, probably Thurs-ish, and at some point we should probably set up a chat and such. If we can at least get those 2 characters finalized, then it's just a matter of ANYONE out of Khan, Val, GPH, and Pit (or whoever else wants to jump in) making a char, and we can start.

Right now I'm working on a freelance project, but it should be mostly done a few days from now. The good news is that John (someone we know IRL, not GPH) knew someone that needed some programming done on a website ASAP. The bad news is well... JOHN knew someone that needed work done on a website.

« Last Edit: February 07, 2012, 08:38:19 am by Trerro »
Order of Chaos (Ragnarok Online, iRO Ymir) guildmaster - Mwrip (99/70 High Wizzie)

Dragon Code: DC2.Dw Gm L7f W T Palw Sks Cbk Bfl/"puns" A Fr-- M O H-- $- Fo R++ Ac++ J++ S+ I--# Tc++ E+

"I never knew faith had to come with an instruction manual." - Source Unknown
"My political ideal is the democracy. Let every man be respected as an individual, but let no man be idolized" - Einstein
"Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." - Benjamin Franklin

Dakon42

• Semi-Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 07, 2012, 02:01:32 pm »
Huh. How bout that. I didn't know he was alive. That or his cell had finally been activated and he was off, I dunno, dooming the free world or something. Neat.

Also this. Because this.

GPH

• Purplasm
  • Experienced Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 07, 2012, 05:24:52 pm »
I did roll up the stats for a beguiler character but I haven't actually done any character history or anything seeing as I wanted to check that

a) I could actually play as a beguiler
b) the timings worked so I could actually take part

before I actually spent the time writing something up :P

If both a and b are fine then we can get started given minimal warning as far as I'm concerned. And if A isn't fine I'll just need a little longer :P
=||=

Pitvrug

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 08, 2012, 08:52:09 am »
I'm trying to get together with a girl atm....which is proving to be very time-consuming :)

......why is the Internet's timing always so bad?

KhanCipher

• Target Verified, Commencing Hostilities!
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 08, 2012, 05:24:42 pm »
then it's just a matter of ANYONE out of Khan, Val, GPH, and Pit (or whoever else wants to jump in) making a char

give me a link on how to make one, and i'll do it tonight :P
Quote from: AVGN
This is a Blizzard of Balls, I can't believe Humanity was capable of degrading itself so low as to produce such insulting catastrophe of ass!!

GPH

• Purplasm
  • Experienced Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 08, 2012, 05:48:24 pm »
I used an excel spreadsheet called Heroforge (found here) to make up my character.

Alternatively you can just find a character sheet online somewhere and fill it in yourself :P Would it be an idea to arrange a chat session before we start properly as it were just so we can all iron out character creation and backrounds etc?
=||=

Trerro

• Administrator
  • Defender of Meep
    • View Profile
    • Chaos Cluster
« Reply #23 on: February 08, 2012, 11:03:54 pm »
Hmm, Beguiler seems to be a Sorc with less mana and some restrictions on spell choices, but bonus feats and the ability to do basically a caster's sneak attack. Seems reasonable. The only thing that really jumped out at me is that L20 ability, but by that point, they should be able to take that without being unbalanced vs. Sorc. If it's an issue and we also have a Sorc, I'll just make up an L20 ability for Sorc and that'll be that.

As for timing, there is a 5 hour gap, but that shouldn't be *too* ridiculous.

Khan, if you don't have a character sheet, just Google "DND 3.5 character sheet", there's a bunch of them floating around, in pretty much any format you want. Alternatively, you can PM me an email address and I'll send you one.

If it's an issue of not having core rulebooks, the core system is basically the document equivalent of open source, and can be found here: http://www.d20srd.org/.
Order of Chaos (Ragnarok Online, iRO Ymir) guildmaster - Mwrip (99/70 High Wizzie)

Dragon Code: DC2.Dw Gm L7f W T Palw Sks Cbk Bfl/"puns" A Fr-- M O H-- $- Fo R++ Ac++ J++ S+ I--# Tc++ E+

"My political ideal is the democracy. Let every man be respected as an individual, but let no man be idolized" - Einstein
"Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." - Benjamin Franklin

KhanCipher

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 09, 2012, 08:01:43 am »
Skills: Everyone begins with 4 extra skill points at level 1, and 1 per level after that. This means you start with 6 extra points. The caps do NOT change. (This will give you one extra maxed skill, or allow you to dabble in a few without spending from your normal pool.)

ok, if i understand this correctly (i can't find anything on caps)... i'm going as a human paladin, and looking at everything i have on hand... i should start with 30 skill points (because my int is only at 10), right?

or... i need help getting this sheet filled out... and the worst part is i need to get a 2nd done for his backstory...

This is a Blizzard of Balls, I can't believe Humanity was capable of degrading itself so low as to produce such insulting catastrophe of ass!!

Trerro

• Administrator
  • Defender of Meep
    • View Profile
    • Chaos Cluster
« Reply #25 on: February 09, 2012, 10:16:20 pm »
Paladin = 2 points/level base.
Human = +1/level
Bonus = +1/level
10 int = +0/level
The first level multiplies all of these by 4, giving you 6x4 = 24 skill points.

For class skills, the cap is level + 3, for cross class, it's half of that. Class skills are 1 point = 1 rank, cross-class are 1 point = 1/2 rank.

For filling out a character sheet, I recommend going in this order:
1. Assign stats. Just about everything is modified by them, so it's hard to do much else without this.
2. Record the basic stuff for your race. Human is by far the simplest - normal size, normal speed, Common language base, any normal language for bonus (but you have 10 int so no bonus languages), bonus feat, +1 skill point/level.
3. Record the basic stuff for your class (Base attack bonus, saves, mana, special abilities). Pallys get a bunch of minor special abilities right from the start, but you don't need to worry about spells yet (those start at L4) or your mount (5). If aiming for an unusual mount, this is a good thing to think about in advance, however.
4. Choose your feats.
5. Figure out your max HP. Remember that your first hit die is never rolled - it's always the max possible.
6. Choose your skill ranks. Remember that a whole bunch of skills can be used untrained, often with bonuses from your stats, so you'll have numbers for a lot of skills.
7. Choose your gear
8. Fill out all the stuff that depends on everything else having been done - attack rolls, damage, armor, carry capacity, remaining gold, etc.
9. Figure out any miscellaneous stuff (supplies, pots, scrolls, minor magic items, etc.) you'll be starting with.

If you need help beyond this, let me know where your stuck. All of the rules are easy to explain, but not necessarily in obvious places in the rules.

Sonya the fox

• Administrator
  • Member++
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 10, 2012, 12:27:50 pm »
Okay, allow me to get another ball rolling in this: chat.  Voice or text only?  I figure text will be easier, but that's up to everyone else.  Also, chat device?  If voice I would recommend Skype, I don't know if anything else will support multi-way voice chats.  If text, what messengers does everyone have and what would be best?

I personally don't care what we do, and have so many things to pick from (MSN,gtalk, Skype, xfire...)

Dakon42

• Semi-Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 10, 2012, 04:00:12 pm »
I also have a ventrilo sever we could use, if we did decide to do voice chat. Typing would probably be easier for in character interactions though, more defined actions, and so fourth.

KhanCipher

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 11, 2012, 11:12:16 am »
If you need help beyond this, let me know where your stuck. All of the rules are easy to explain, but not necessarily in obvious places in the rules.

i need an explanation on step 5, and step 7... i need to talk to you about letting me have a neck item that gives +1 CHA, but it's free because it's from someone he lobyd, but he thinks she is dead... and uh...

Also, how many feats do i start with? i'm sorry, but the last time i ever did anything DnD related was in 1.0 rules, which kinda means i need a pm explaining most of character creation to me...
« Last Edit: February 11, 2012, 11:18:07 am by KhanCipher »

Sonya the fox

• Administrator
  • Member++
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 11, 2012, 11:56:35 pm »

i need an explanation on step 5, and step 7... i need to talk to you about letting me have a neck item that gives +1 CHA, but it's free because it's from someone he lobyd, but he thinks she is dead... and uh...

Also, how many feats do i start with? i'm sorry, but the last time i ever did anything DnD related was in 1.0 rules, which kinda means i need a pm explaining most of character creation to me...

Feats: you get one at levels 1,3,6,9,12,15,18.  Humans get a bonus feat.  These can be spent on anything you meet the pre-reqs for.  Some classes like Fighters get bonus feats, they tell you when you get them and what you can use them on.  Trerro has stated that for this campaign everyone gets one additional feat, similar to how a human gets one.

Hitpoints: every class has a hit die.  For your first level you pretend the hit die rolled the highest possible (so a d8 hit die yields 8 for first level).  All levels beyond your first you roll your hit die and add that to your hit points.  You also get your CON modifier applied to your hitpoints for each level, for better or for worse.  You always get atleast one hit point each level, even if you roll poorly with a negative CON modifier.