Register

Discord server is operational: https://discord.gg/tnbbFAQ

Chaos Cluster

Author Topic: Spambot Attack  (Read 10806 times)

Trerro

• Administrator
  • Defender of Meep
    • View Profile
    • Chaos Cluster
Spambot Attack
« on: April 28, 2011, 08:44:36 pm »
We're currently being hit by spambots that are able to bypass our CAPTCHA. I'm not sure if they actually have an OCR script that can defeat it, or if they're paying sweatshop employees to spawn the accounts, but in either case, they're getting through.

The way the attack works is that they register several accounts, wait a few weeks, and then start sending spam, via PMs, to all non-mods and non-admins. They also like to use names like "Forum Staff" to get you to open it. The only legit CC bot account is messagebot. If you receive anything from a bot account that isn't messagebot, it's spam.

I just purged all known spammer accounts, and I *think* I got them all, but they will of course continue to create them. Please let me know when the next spam wave hits so I can purge it as well.

I'm going to implement a couple of additional measures to halt the spambots. If it becomes necessary, I will switch accounts to require admin approval, but I only want to do that as an absolute last resort, as it makes real people less likely to ever actually use their account.
Order of Chaos (Ragnarok Online, iRO Ymir) guildmaster - Mwrip (99/70 High Wizzie)

Dragon Code: DC2.Dw Gm L7f W T Palw Sks Cbk Bfl/"puns" A Fr-- M O H-- $- Fo R++ Ac++ J++ S+ I--# Tc++ E+

"I never knew faith had to come with an instruction manual." - Source Unknown
"My political ideal is the democracy. Let every man be respected as an individual, but let no man be idolized" - Einstein
"Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." - Benjamin Franklin

iggy

• Member++
    • View Profile
Re: Spambot Attack
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2011, 07:10:52 pm »
Got spam pms from someone called "forumstaff" that's not even a member

Also, just restrict PM'ing access for new members and problem is solved.

Trerro

• Administrator
  • Defender of Meep
    • View Profile
    • Chaos Cluster
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2011, 12:39:11 am »
*points to shoutbox* Yeah, if you try to send a PM with a <5 post count now, it'll reject with an error. The forum software doesn't actually support that, but I just hard-coded it in.
Order of Chaos (Ragnarok Online, iRO Ymir) guildmaster - Mwrip (99/70 High Wizzie)

Dragon Code: DC2.Dw Gm L7f W T Palw Sks Cbk Bfl/"puns" A Fr-- M O H-- $- Fo R++ Ac++ J++ S+ I--# Tc++ E+

"My political ideal is the democracy. Let every man be respected as an individual, but let no man be idolized" - Einstein
"Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." - Benjamin Franklin

iggy

• Member++
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2011, 01:36:25 am »
*points to shoutbox* Yeah, if you try to send a PM with a <5 post count now, it'll reject with an error. The forum software doesn't actually support that, but I just hard-coded it in.

What a brag :P

Trerro

• Administrator
  • Defender of Meep
    • View Profile
    • Chaos Cluster
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2011, 01:43:06 am »
Not really a brag. More of a "I completely half-assed it, and didn't follow the flow of the program at all, but it does the job." :P

Lomaz

• Administrator
  • Experienced Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2011, 06:26:29 pm »
uh oh, chris was hard coding again, if the shoutbox dissappears for all non admin peoples again be sure to let us know :P lol